Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Husband!

I truly love my husband! I wouldn't have been with him for 16 years if I didn't.....but I do have a bone to pick with the man.

When sports are on (which seems to be ALL THE TIME, whether it be the game itself, the highlights or when it's on the nightly news, it's always on), I can never seem to get my man's attention. It's like he is oblivious to everything around him. Take yesterday, for example:

My husband is sitting on the couch watching......that's right, sports. My daughter was sitting on the couch next to him doing her homework. The rule in our house is homework is to be done at the kitchen table. Makes sense, right?!

Me: "S", get your butt at the table and do your homework.

Daughter: But I'm doing it.

Me: You know the rule. Homework is to be done at the table. I don't want you watching TV while doing it.

Daughter: But I'm not.

Me: I don't care if Daddy's here or not. (She previously told me that he allowed her to do her homework on the couch. tsk tsk) You know the rule in this house.

I leave the room to use the restroom. I yell across the house to see if our daughter is still sitting on the couch. My husband says that she is. So now, at this point I'm getting annoyed cause since my husband was sitting right there, hearing all of what just went on but because sports is on, he was oblivious. You would have thought that he would have said "You heard your mom. Get your butt to the table and do your homework." but noooooooo! I have to yell it across the house to enforce it since I'm in disposed. Finally at that point he does. UGH!

Or how about this morning. I'm trying to get myself ready for work and my daughter ready for school. The only thing my husband is responsible for is himself and a sandwhich for my daughter, unless she get's hot lunch. Today was hot lunch day.

So again, what's my husband doing? Getting ready and watching ESPN. As we're getting ready to walk out the door, his eyes are still glued to the TV. He sees that I have to go but he doesn't help with anything unless I ask for it.

Me: I gotta go. (sounding rushed)

Husband: Pause. Eyes still glued to TV.

Me: Can you put the dog in the kennel? (again, sounding rushed and annoyed)

My thing is, why do I even need to ask for help??? Here, I just got our daughter and myself ready and I would think he would sort of ask if there is something he can do. I mean really, we go through this every day. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Sometimes I just wish men would think like women. Relationships would be so much easier, don'cha think?! ;o)

5 comments:

  1. Next time you're cleaning I would 'accidentally' drop the tv...whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Hula, you should drop the tv. That will get the ball rolling. If that doesn't work, try the neck roll:)

    Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'd be great if men thought like women, but the world would be rather boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - I've been trying to comment for days, but the stupid word verifier wouldn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was frustrated just reading your post. Sorry that the other woman is ESPN. Men.

    ReplyDelete