Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Boss!

Normally when I go to work, the day is pretty good. Especially when the boss has to go a client's and then is out the entire day. Those days are truly the BEST! However, when he is there, he tends to get on my nerves.

I would say we have a good rapport. He can joke and so can I. He says to curse if I need to, that it's good to "let it out". Fine! So I do when the time is fitting. And believe me, he does to. In fact, he'll even slam the phone continuously if something pisses him off. Whatever floats his boat! He's old enough to be my dad so he tends to come across as being mine which I don't like. I have a dad, I don't need another one!

So, he is a CPA. Yes, it's that time of the year too. He is rushed to complete returns and so it leaves him on edge at times. Which means, he tends to be short or in laments terms......is an ASS! Oh, and did I mention? He like, hangs onto every fucking word I say too!

So yesterday, he has me call a bunch of clients who haven't sent in their tax information. I dread this task every time cause I know he's gonna be listening in on each phone call conversation. I get nervous and he knows that. So when he gave me the list of clients, he reminded me not to "Hmm and Haw", meaning.....don't go "uh" or "well" or "hmm". He said the clients can hear that and it come across as if I don't know what I'm talking about. Fine!

I started making my round of calls and I think I was doing really good but he grasped on a couple words of mine and would correct me. FUCK! Quit listening in!

I later told him that I know he listens which makes me nervous so naturally I'm gonna "hmm and haw". I even do that anyways in my everyday chatting. He's just making it worse by ease dropping. He said that I need to practice my speach ahead of time. I don't need to practice, I need him to NOT listen. I even make a point to put the phone in my right ear and face my body towards the left (cause his office is on my right) just so that it drowns it out a bit. I guess it helps some.

I even came home bitching and moaning about this. I just can't wait until tax season is over. He'll be on vacation for two GLORIOUS weeks while I can have my own vacation at work without him!

3 comments:

  1. Why don't you try calling one of those 900#s, by accident of course, and see if he corrects your speech.

    Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so get nervous when my boss is listening or watching what I do..

    When nobody is paying attention, I'm the best skilled employee!!

    Have a blast after your boss goes to vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My job requires me to do nothing BUT talk on the phone, lol, and we are "skill-assessed" on a regular basis. Not just for things like phone etiquette or job knowledge, but to also make sure we're complying with certain regulations. Once I allowed myself to feel like the conversations were only between the client and I, I totally learned to forget anyone could be listening in. Once you get into your comfort zone, you'll forget all about him.

    ReplyDelete